This past week at Northern Hills we highlighted a few of our missionaries. I love spending time with those who have given their lives to "GO", in the name of Jesus. Through my experiences and interactions, missionaries are people who:
- Have an incredible heart for God and people. They are not motivated by stuff, status, or superfluous experiences. They are motivated by living a life that makes a difference for all eternity.
- See possibility and Godly potential in people, circumstance, celebrations, and tragedy.
- Are very aware of their own weaknesses and serve God with great humility.
- Somehow balance being patient and relentless. This is truly an art and essential for every missionary.
- Maximize each day by working for the future.
- Love to learn.
- Risk being hurt, taken advantage of, and isolation.
- Usually go under appreciated.
- Make great wives!
I could go on, but for now I want to remind us that all people who follow Jesus are missionaries. Maybe you are not called to go to a foreign land, but you are called to go. A church is to be a community of missionaries to their communities and beyond.
Do something today that will make a missionaries day. Send a letter or email encouraging them, send some financial support, spend some time praying for missionaries you know or don't know and then let them know that you prayed for them.
Consider going on a short-term mission trip.
Check out this Missionary Blog and get to know some of those we support at NHCC.